Monday, February 28, 2011

51: Sum of All Its Parts

This photo/post is part of a series. This post is part two (as I have mentioned here in part one) of the series.

As promised, I will explain to you the concept and the reason for this photo. The whole idea (from the title to how this stuff came to be) comes from the phrase: ""The whole is greater than the sum of the parts" which is often used in explaining Gestalt theory/ Gestalt psychology. You can read more about this theory here.

I would make a wild guess and say that most of you would look at the picture and say, it's a heart. Well, in a way it is (since that was what I was really going for) but what if I tell you they are really just a bunch of paper carefully placed out that way? That's where Gestalt psychology comes in and the phrase of course. You see, we tend to see the greater whole first than the parts. The reason for that is still unknown really but Gestalt psychology has come up with several hypothesis that would help us at least understand a little. So I really would recommend that you read it here. I don't really want to explain what Gestalt psychology is because it isn't really my forte. I came across this only because I had psychology as one of my subjects in college. Moreover, that would only lead as astray from the reason why I went for this concept.

So anyway, the reason why I went for this concept is because of the following reasons:
♥ It's the end of February, so that means my posts about love and other matters of the heart would end here.
♥ I always got ideas from people who are either dead or I haven't really met. So I was thinking maybe I should not look for the answers from books or from the net anymore for this final post for this month's theme and get the answers from people I know. 
♥ Love doesn't really have just one meaning so I wanted to prove that point by doing this. These are a bunch of people and their definition of love differs yet they are referring to the same "thing". Isn't that amazing? c: I don't really know if you get what I am trying to say but I hope you do.
♥ Gestalt Psychology has always intrigued me and I wanted to incorporate it somehow for this project of mine. c:

So yeah, I guess that's it. c: And those beads? I don't really know why I included them. At that time, I was like, maybe this will make my photo look prettier? Haha''

Credits to Denise, Rowna, Elmar, Kimi, Jonell, Mi-ann, Larz, Gayle, Francium, and Crissa. ♥

P.S. I think I may have murdered your names somehow.. for that I'm sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment